The holiday shopping season is upon us and the North Syracuse Village Police Department would like to offer some shopping safety tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid parking in isolated areas.
- Walk in lighted areas and on established paths.
- Have your keys ready versus digging through a purse or bag as you walk through a parking lot.
- Look for and park near security cameras.
- Keep bags in your trunk and not in open view.
- Be alert in crowded places like parking lots, jammed aisles and elevators.
- Safety in numbers; if possible, shop with family or friends.
- If someone makes you uncomfortable, or the situation doesn’t seem right, trust your instincts and leave.
- Carry a purse close to the body and hold it tight.
- If you have a number of packages from one store, put them in your trunk before you arrive at the next store, restaurant, etc.
- At home or while shopping, never leave any personal items in your vehicle or in plain sight. This includes money (even loose change), credit cards, cell phones, purses and GPS units.
- Never leave any door unlocked or windows open.
- Always allow yourself extra time; while in a rush, people forget basic safety rules.
- If you see anything suspicious, call 911.
Have a safe and happy holiday!